This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Zero rated VAT renovations

crt9167
Zero rated VAT renovations

Postby crt9167 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Hello All

I hope someone can provide some guidance for me.

My sister and I are currently doing up a property that has been unoccupied for 10+ years, from what we understand we may be able to zero rate or reduce the VAT on the building work. However neither of us plan to live there - we would be using it as a holiday let or for rent.

My question is do we qualify for the reduced VAT rate. We have been reading notice 708 on the government website, and it keeps mentioning about the house being used for ‘relevant residential purpose’ . Is renting the property out or using it as a holiday let considered to be a ‘relevant residential purpose’ ??

I hope I have explained myself clearly.

Return to “Property Taxation”