This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pay CGT or Income Tax ?

pipp
Pay CGT or Income Tax ?

Postby pipp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi all.

I have my own business selling old tools and making furniture etc.

On the side, i am planning on renovating houses to sell with a fast turn over. This will be funded using my own cash money.

As i already have a different business and this won't be my main one, will i pay CGT or will i have to register as a business and pay income tax ?

If i have to register as a business, will i pay income and corporation tax ?

If none of the above, how many houses can i renovate whilst paying CGT before it is deemed a business and i have to set up a company ?

I can take professional advice if needed.

Thanks.

bd6759

Re: Pay CGT or Income Tax ?

Postby bd6759 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 pm

You will pay income tax on the profits. Just add another self-employent page to your tax return for this business.

pipp

Postby pipp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks.

If my wife and i go into business together how is it structured so we both get our tax allowance on the first £11k ? Do we both register as self employed and declare 50% of the profits and costs apiece ?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 am

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”