This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Legal query

Jimbo69
Legal query

Postby Jimbo69 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:33 pm

We acted for a partnership which ceased 2014. Since then, one of the partners died (in 2015) and his executors have just asked for copies of the partnership accounts going back 20 odd years. Should I comply with this request? Do I need the permission of the surviving former partner before I do? Not sure if there's a confidentiality issue or not.

All comments are appreciated

Thank you

pawncob

Re: Legal query

Postby pawncob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 pm

I suggest you tell them to search the late client's records or ask his partner. Even HMRC wouldn't want twenty years!!
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Not sure I know the answer.

One option is to simply write to the executors requesting their justification for their request.

Under TMA 1979 1970 s40 (for ss34, 35 &36 purposes) HMRC can only assess executors at anytime within 4 years of the end of the year of assessment of death in relation to income/gains accrued to the deceased prior to death.

If income tax/CGT has been lost due to the carelessness or deliberate action of the deceased the PRs may be assessed in respect thereof in respect of a year of assessment ending not earlier than 6 years before date of death.

It seems to me that the 20 year period contained in TMA 1970 s36(1A) is cut down by the above.

Jimbo69

Postby Jimbo69 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 am

I think they may be looking at some sort of claim against the surviving former partner

Return to “General”