This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving from the UAE back to Blighty.

gdm
Moving from the UAE back to Blighty.

Postby gdm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 am

Hi all, I own our family home in Dubai, my wife and kids will be relocating back to the UK in the next few months, i will be following at the end of march. We have been here for 8 years. My questions pls are, if I sell my dubai home for a loss next year after I have already relocated to the UK can I bring these funds back to a UK bank without any scrutiny? If there is indeed a profit on the sale, is this taxable? and if yes, how is the tax calculated when there have been huge currency swings (gbp/usd) since I purchased the property?
Finally, my brother in law lives in the UAE also, how would it work if wanted to send some funds back to the UK on occasion? can he do this as "gift" payments?

Cheers.

G

AmanSood

Re: Moving from the UAE back to Blighty.

Postby AmanSood » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am

If the Dubai property has been your main residence in which you and your family have been living since you purchased it then even if you make a profit on sale of the property there is likely to be no UK capital gains tax to pay. But main way to ensure this is to sell your property before you relocate to the UK. Also, assuming your brother in law is tax resident in the UAE and payments to you are not for UK services but genuine gifts then he's free to send you the money as he likes and there would be no UK tax implications.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”