This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Divorce - tax on transfer of property not sold?

Desperate Dad
Divorce - tax on transfer of property not sold?

Postby Desperate Dad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi,

Hoping somebody can provide some help with my question.

Background is I'm close to the end of a long, very costly & massively difficult divorce (through no factual fault of myself beyond my inability to make my bio-polar wife happy despite 15 years of effort :cry: )

We are not wealthy, but have invested well (intentionally) for our children's futures and have 3 properties:
4 bed house
2 bed flat. 160k value. 125 purchase
1 bed flat. 140k value. 101 purchase

My expectation/hope is my ex will get the house, I will get the 1 bed flat and the 2 bed sold to clear off part of the mortgages.

Can somebody confirm how the CGT bill works if I keep the 1 bed property to live in?

I understand how CGT is charged - it will bring me into high rate - but all online advice seems to refer to the sale of assets?

Will I owe the sum due on "my new home" at the point its transferred to me - or when I sell at a future date (if I'm ever in a position to upgrade)?

I am aware of the option to transfer assets to spouses to save CGT - but sadly my ex will choose to suffer financial loss than do something she deems I would want - regardless of the impact on the kids.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”