This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains with 2 owners for 2 different lengths of time.

quickquestion
Capital Gains with 2 owners for 2 different lengths of time.

Postby quickquestion » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi

My parents are selling their second home and we are trying to work out the capital gains they will have to pay.

The strange thing about this is that the house was originally transferred into my Mums name in 1993 due to her Mums death so she has owned the property since then but in 2007 my Dad was added to the house and therefore they became joint owners.

How do we work out the capital gains to be paid if one has owned the property for longer?

maths

Re: Capital Gains with 2 owners for 2 different lengths of time.

Postby maths » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Mum inherited property at its then probate value i.e. market value (e.g. 250).

As it was not parent's main residence then in 2007 when i assume 50% was transferred to dad then dad effectively inherited at a cost of 50% of mum's original inherited cost (i.e. 5-0% of 200 namely 125).Mum's left with 50% at a cost of 125.

On sale each have a cgt charge each based on 50% of sale proceeds less (in the above example)m cost of 125.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”