This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on foreign currency bank deposits

bigprize
CGT on foreign currency bank deposits

Postby bigprize » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 am

Hi, I got a bit confused about the 2012 regulations that exempt foreign currency 'bank accounts' from CGT.

I get that is quite clear for the typical day-to-day direct access account (let's say current account), but what about if I have a term deposit with a bank in foreign currency (understand as anything from as short as a week to 5 years)? I get that the interest I receive needs to be converted into sterling and is liable for income tax on the tax year it is paid. But what about the potential FX changes that may happen between the opening and maturity of the deposit? There wont be any change in the amount in local currency, but the amount in £ may differ significantly. Is that variation chargeable (and allowable for loss relif) under CGT?

I dont see a bank deposit being considered a 'security' so I am confused if that would fall under the 'simple debt' rules and be exempt of CGT on the FX variation.

Thanks

maths

Re: CGT on foreign currency bank deposits

Postby maths » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:13 pm

A foreign currency bank account is a debt. On a disposal of such a debt no chargeable gain (or allowable losses) arises.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”