This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Renting a property to myself or from my wife to avoid vat on major conversion works

davesturgess
Renting a property to myself or from my wife to avoid vat on major conversion works

Postby davesturgess » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 am

Someone suggested to me that I could rent a property from my wife, or even rent from myself to avoid paying vat on the conversion works to an old school that we are setting up as a retreat centre. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

les35

Re: Renting a property to myself or from my wife to avoid vat on major conversion works

Postby les35 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:34 am

The conversion works may be chargeable at 5% rather than 20%, although it would depend on actual details of the pre-conversion and post-conversion property, and what you mean by 'retreat centre.'
Ownership of the property is a Direct Tax question, which you should discuss with your Accountant.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”