This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non-UK private pension and investments

AGrove
Non-UK private pension and investments

Postby AGrove » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:47 pm

I am a dual citizen (UK & Philippines) and currently resident in UK. My income are all in UK only. I have a private pension insurance plan, investments and properties in the Philippines. In a few years time, my private pension plan will mature and I'll receive roughly £15,000 as a lump sum payment. Also in the near future, I may want to liquidate some of my investments (mutual funds). I will need to file an income tax return in Philippines once I receive my personal pension and pay CGT once I sell my mutual funds. I think the pension is also subject to income tax in UK. Does this income need to be reported as gross income less tax paid in Philippines ? What about the mutual fund liquidation, how does this need to be reported on my UK tax return ?

AmanSood

Re: Non-UK private pension and investments

Postby AmanSood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 am

There is a double tax treaty between the UK and Philippines and under this as a UK tax resident, you shouldn't be taxable on your pension in Philippines but as you rightly say you would have to pay tax on it in the UK. The amount you would report is the gross amount and if you are taxed on this income in Philippines that you would have to claim double tax relief on your return. Regarding the mutual fund, you would have to pay CGT on this in the UK and claim double tax relief on your return.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 pm

There is a double tax treaty between the UK and Philippines and under this as a UK tax resident, you shouldn't be taxable on your pension in Philippines but as you rightly say you would have to pay tax on it in the UK. The amount you would report is the gross amount and if you are taxed on this income in Philippines that you would have to claim double tax relief on your return. Regarding the mutual fund, you would have to pay CGT on this in the UK and claim double tax relief on your return.
CGT is incorrect. The gain on the mutual fund would be an offshore income gain, taxable to UK income tax.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:00 pm

To ascertain the UK tax treatment of investments in offshore mutual funds it is necessary to identify if the fund is a "reporting" or "non-reporting" fund for UK tax purposes.

Return to “Income Tax”