This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying a property with annexe/outbuilding with planning permission with wife and in laws

Jm4910
Buying a property with annexe/outbuilding with planning permission with wife and in laws

Postby Jm4910 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi there,

My father and mother in law are looking to dwnsize to release money for retirement and my wife and I are looking to get a bigger property. We are looking at pooling our funds together to buy a house (for my wife and I) with a large annexe or an outbuilding that has planning to convert for residential use for (for the in laws).

My father in law would sell his house at £400k and put up to £300k towards the new property, and I would sell my house and put in £100k. Any extra borrowing which is likely would be through a mortgage either a joint one between just my wife and I, or if necessary with my father in law.

My wife has a brother too so we need to think about how he would get his share of the inheritance without selling our house.

Could somebody try and explain what pitfalls we might encounter with this arrangement and possible solutions?

Thanks

Jon

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”