This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Andorra Residency

er81
Andorra Residency

Postby er81 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:32 pm

OK, so I am applying for residency in Andorra but want a second opinion on something. I am ex UK resident, and have seen that there are different categories of res in Andorra, two of which are of interest: Category B and Category D.

The most attractive is B, as I can stay here for just 90 days per year. Category D has recently made it so that residents have to live here throughout the year, which really isn't of interest to me. It also requires investment of 400k Euro while B is simply a 50k Euro bond.

The thing I am unsure about is whether category B is sufficient enough to appease the UK government/HMRC. I don't want to worry about them saying I haven't been tax resident elsewhere, and try claiming that I owe them tax. I have seen Category D described as "fiscal residency" which implies to me that B isn't. I hope that makes sense.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance.

bd6759

Re: Andorra Residency

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am

The UK will apply its own laws to determine if you are resident in the UK. Becoming resident in Andorra doesn't mean you are not resident on the UK, or anywhere else.

teejaydee

Postby teejaydee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:55 am

You have not given any details about where you will be living when you are not resident in Andorra. Assuming you are planning to split your time between Andorra and the UK, you need to refer to the following guide, which will help you determine if you will be classed as UK resident for tax:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-test-srt

As bd6759 has rightly said, becoming resident in Andorra will not necessarily make you immune from UK taxes, or taxes in whichever countries you reside when not in Andorra.

jakuk

Postby jakuk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Can any one add any up to date comments on this post .

I am considering Andorra as an option and would like to get the 90 day option the same as the Opening post ,

I would be spending the rest of the year travelling and not in any other one country long enough to be considered resident,

thanks for any advice that any can offer

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 pm

All we can really say is that every country has their own particular laws on who is deemed a legal resident, and they can differ drastically.

I think that the people on this forum would only be confident in talking about residency in the UK which is governed by the statutory residency test.

Return to “Income Tax”