This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on winding up Trust

piper777
CGT on winding up Trust

Postby piper777 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:45 pm

hi there hoping for help

can anyone tell me what the tax charges will be on winding up a discretionary trust at present ? I believe exit charge at 6% but confused on rate if Trust is wound up and property in it sold ? i.e CGT tax -----if three beneficiaries do they each get a CGT allowance and is this £5,600?

many thanks

AnthonyR

Re: CGT on winding up Trust

Postby AnthonyR » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

The 6% charge is an IHT charge, rather than a CGT charge and is levied where there are distributions from the trust in excess of the nil rate band. However, it's a maximum of 6% and a complex charge which is based on previous anniversary charges and pro-rated. If the trust value is under £325,000 it is unlikely to apply.

However, if the trustees distribute out assets then there could be a CGT charge as well if the assets have increased in value. However, it's possible to hold over gains where both the trustees and beneficiaries agree. If the beneficiaries then sell the assets they will each benefit from a CGT annual exemption (currently £11,300). If the trust sells the asset it will get a single annual exemption of £5,650 (half an individual's).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 pm

I'll also add on my standard disclaimer - trusts are complex and you should seek professional advice!
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

piper777

Postby piper777 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 pm

than you kindly !!

piper777

Postby piper777 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:21 pm

sorry that was meant to say thank you kindly ------really do appreciate !

maths

Postby maths » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Beware of timing of distribution if hold over relief to be claimed.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”