This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

recording Zero rated and VAT exempt expenses in accounting software

skray
recording Zero rated and VAT exempt expenses in accounting software

Postby skray » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 am

Hi,
I am a contractor and operate through a personal services limited company that is VAT registered. I use an accounting software to record transactions.
When I record expenses, e.g. travel, accommodation, accountant's fees, insurance etc I have to choose a vat rate, which can be Zero VAT, No Vat, Standard Rate 20% etc.

What is the implication of recording a Zero VAT expense as a No Vat and vice versa. e.g. does it affect my own VAT liability, Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet figures?.
e.g.
1)When recording an expense of train journey or flight tickets, if I select No VAT rather than Zero VAT is there an implication. Or a Bank Charge is recorded as zero VAT rather than No VAT.
2)If I stayed in a hotel that is not VAT registered, should I record the expense as Zero VAT or No VAT
3)Does it make any difference if my company is Flat VAT registered or not.

Thanks

SteLacca

Re: recording Zero rated and VAT exempt expenses in accounting software

Postby SteLacca » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Zero rated and exempt supplies are different, particularly with regards to partial exemption calculations and registration thresholds.

Zero rated still count towards everything for VAT purposes, whilst exempt don't.

Return to “Company Taxation”