This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Notification to HMRC of error made in accounts

DonaldF
Notification to HMRC of error made in accounts

Postby DonaldF » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I am treasurer of a small church, which is a trust and a registered charity. Its income (mainly donations) is under £15,000. There is no trading income and all income and expenditure is for a charitable purpose.

This year, for the first time, the church was asked to submit a Tax Return and financial accounts for the year ended 5th April 2017.

In one section of the Return, it asks for the value of the church building.

In previous accounts, independently examined and submitted to OSCR, the balance sheet does not include fixed assets (building and fixtures and fittings). No one knew how much the building was worth.

Could this be a problem when the accounts are submitted to HMRC?

If so, what would be the best means to minimize possible consequences?

I was thinking: 1) have the building professionally valued; 2) include the valuation notice with the accounts on submission; and 3) notify HMRC that an error has been made in preparation of accounts for previous years, in that fixed assets were omitted, but that they will be included in future years.

Can anyone think of a better course of action?

What might be the reaction of the HMRC? Could there be a penalty to be paid and/or an investigation?

greybags1

Re: Notification to HMRC of error made in accounts

Postby greybags1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm

If I can be so bold HMRC are the least of your worries re omitting an asset from the accounts - I would be more worried about OSCR. May I ask why/how has the building has been omitted?

DonaldF

Postby DonaldF » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:38 pm

The buildings were omitted due to lack of foresight and bad accountancy practice.

DonaldF

Postby DonaldF » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:39 pm

What action might OSCR take?

greybags1

Postby greybags1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Is the church an 'independent' or part of the national church ie C of S? Reason I ask is whether the church actually owns the building? Anyway, on what basis have the accounts been prepared please accruals or R & P? Have you spoken with your examiner about this?

DonaldF

Postby DonaldF » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm

The church is an independent. It owns the building. The accounts are prepared on a receipts and payments basis. The examiner is aware of the issue.

greybags1

Postby greybags1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm

What I would do is amend the accounts by including the building (and its fixtures & fittings) at cost or valuation in the Statement of Balances then amend the trust tax return and resubmit it along with revised accounts to HMRC. I doubt they will do anything.

As for OSCR I personally would resubmit 'amended' accounts stating clearly they are 'amended' (ie on the front cover) perhaps enclosing a covering letter explaining the reason for them assuming your examiner is happy to do this. OSCR may ask questions.

DonaldF

Postby DonaldF » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you for your advice.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”