This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

cgt on a flat

134Shopping
cgt on a flat

Postby 134Shopping » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I own a flat and lived in it from 2001 to 2007 but then moved in with my girlfriend. After a year I let out my flat for rent, and still do. Now I want to move back, and will have to sell. I do not own any other property, and never have. As the property has gained in value like everywhere else over time someone has said I need to pay CGT. Is that right? And if I was to move back in for a certain period would that make it ok? Plus what if I just sell and take the money, how exactly is the tax man going to know? Perplexed and astonished to find I may owe thousands when it was the only place I ever owned.

maths

Re: cgt on a flat

Postby maths » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 pm

7.5/16ths of the gain will be exempt due to the private residence exemption (you lived in it for say 6 years and the last 1.5 years of ownership is assumed occupation).

7.5/16ths of the gain will also be exempt due to lettings relief (you let it for the same length of time ie 7.5 years) capped at £40,000.

Annual exempt amount £11,300.

Depends on figures but any CGT liability seems most unlikely.

134Shopping

Postby 134Shopping » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks that's made me a little more optimistic .... I just feel kind of robbed, I paid 'rent' the whole time I wasn't living away from the flat almost as much as I got from actually renting it out. I do not understand 'letting' relief either. But as to the last question - its only because someone told me about this that I know. Why don't I just not tell the taxman? Is the conveyancer under a duty to report all sales or something?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:57 pm

HMRC have many ways of finding out a property has been sold.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”