This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance tax threshold on property transfers (in one's lifetime)

blutooth
Inheritance tax threshold on property transfers (in one's lifetime)

Postby blutooth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Hello,

My mother has a property worth 500k which she wishes to transfer to me during her lifetime. If she passed away within 7 years (heaven forbid), would I be subject to paying tax on anything over the IHT threshold for children of 425k or would it be the regular threshold for gifts of 325k?

Thanks,

Max

Lee Young

Re: Inheritance tax threshold on property transfers (in one's lifetime)

Postby Lee Young » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 pm

She would only be entitled to the residence nil rate band if she had a residence at the date of her death which she passes to lineal descendants.

If she is a widow she might be entitled to up to two standard nil rate bands anyway.

If the gift of the property is one in which she lives and wants to continue to live then it would (in the absence of rent being paid) be a gift with reservation of benefit which would probably mean no IHT savings achieved at all by the gift, but retain her entitlement to the residence nil rate band.

In short, therefore it depends!
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”