This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Flat rate scheme clarification

Asoltan
Flat rate scheme clarification

Postby Asoltan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, so i may be asking a question that's been asked before.
I had a VAT inspection yesterday, all went well, except for one thing.
They informed me that I had been on the wrong flat rate for 4 years.
I am a carpenter, I work in the TV and film industry, so, that is the rate I had been put on. 13%.
They say i should have been on the rate for "Labour only or Construction services" rate, which is 14.5%
I've been looking through the HMRC website and can't find any clarification on why a Scenic Carpenter should not be on the TV and film rate.
Can anyone direct me to somewhere i can find out please.

les35

Re: Flat rate scheme clarification

Postby les35 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:30 am

There is no simple answer to your question. And it does depend on the wording of any HMRC letter.
If the FRS category you chose was reasonable, then HMRC cannot assess you historically. If the FRS category was not a sensible choice, then they can. What evidence of the reason for your choice did you keep?
HMRC Notice 733 explains the rules of the FRS, but does not explain HMRC's logic in making decisions, or your best way of dealing with that.

Asoltan

Postby Asoltan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for your reply.
The scheme I was on was arranged by my accountant.
As all my work is in tv production, he decided this was reasonable.
I'm waiting for the report from HMRC before I take it up with him.
I was really if there was anywhere that states which trades should be in a particular band.
The HMRC website is vague to say the least.

les35

Postby les35 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 am

This is the link to HMRC Internal Guidance, which provides some more detail: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... me/frs7000
Happy to comment on the HMRC letter when it arrives.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”