This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Grandmother wants to give me over a 100k...

XR101
Grandmother wants to give me over a 100k...

Postby XR101 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 pm

My grandmother wants to give me over a 100k as a gift. She is a non UK-EU national and does not reside in UK or EU either.

I know from research that If she were to pass away within 7 years I would have to pay tax on it - is that correct even though she is a non UK national or resident. Knowing our family medical history as well as how long her siblings lived, she thinks she has at least 10 years left....her words not mine :roll:
When I receive the cash -
1. Do I need to declare it to HMRC in anyway at all whether through self assessment or any other method ? My current status is I have ltd company and take salary + dividends.
2. Do I need to pay tax on the funds?
3. Want it as smooth as possible - What proof or evidence should I have if HMRC ever do come knocking?What should I keep or request from my grandmother as proof? Any legal forms?

darthblingbling

Re: Grandmother wants to give me over a 100k...

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am

Does your grandmother have any assets in the UK?

If the money is an overseas gift then likely there is no IHT issue here.

However the source country may have different rules.

pawncob

Re: Grandmother wants to give me over a 100k...

Postby pawncob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 pm

No you don't have to inform HMRC or pay tax on the gift. No UK taxes arise unless she's UK resident. As stated, there may be tax due in her country of residence.
I suggest a letter specifying the gift(dated) would be sufficient evidence.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”