This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Any Stamp Duty Land Tax experts out there?

erictheone
Any Stamp Duty Land Tax experts out there?

Postby erictheone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Here’s one for any kind SDLT expert please:

I own my main residence, bought in Nov 2014, which I don’t intend to sell.

I bought a 2nd home in Oct 2016 (NOT for buy-to-let) and paid the new 3% SDLT surcharge.

I now want to buy a 3rd home and, shortly after, sell the 2nd.

Am I right that I can claim back the 3% surcharge paid on the 2nd home, assuming I sell it within three years of buying the 3rd?

And, if so, is the claim-back achieved by treating it as part of the purchase cost when I do the CGT calculation for the 2nd home?

And if that’s all right, what happens if the gain (if any) on the sale is less than the 3% surcharge paid? Do I just have a CGT loss to carry forward or to offset against other gains?

It’s only the 3% surcharge that can reclaimed, right - not the full amount of SDLT paid on the 2nd home?

I’m hoping I’ve got this right - because it’s too important to get wrong!

All are UK properties and I’m UK tax resident.

bd6759

Re: Any Stamp Duty Land Tax experts out there?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:15 pm

You cannot reclaim the 3%. This rule only applies if buy a new residence to replace your previous residence, and sell the previous one within 3 years.

For CGT purposes, SDLT is a cost of acquisition and is an allowable cost regardless of the rate paid. If the costs are more than the proceeds you will have made a capital loss. You must put this in your tax return so that it can be caried forward until needed.

erictheone

Postby erictheone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:16 pm

You cannot reclaim the 3%. This rule only applies if buy a new residence to replace your previous residence, and sell the previous one within 3 years.

For CGT purposes, SDLT is a cost of acquisition and is an allowable cost regardless of the rate paid. If the costs are more than the proceeds you will have made a capital loss. You must put this in your tax return so that it can be caried forward until needed.
Many thanks for quick reply, bd6759. So you're saying the 3% can only be reclaimed if you sell your previous MAIN RESIDENCE within three years. Not if you're selling a previous second home, having replaced it within three years with a different second home?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Yes. That is what I said.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I agree with bd.

The legislation refers to ""only or main residence".

Return to “Property Taxation”