This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Annual allowance (£40,000)

David2017
Annual allowance (£40,000)

Postby David2017 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:57 pm

I’ve gone over my annual pension allowance simply because of a transfer of one pension into another. However, I have more than enough carry forward allowance available from previous tax years to mean I shouldn’t pay any tax.

My question is simply given this do I need to do anything? Do I need to declare anything on my self assessment even though I shouldn’t be due to pay anything.

Thanks for your help!

bd6759

Re: Annual allowance (£40,000)

Postby bd6759 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:08 pm

You only need to declare a tax charge if one arises. You self assess this, and if none applies there are no entries to make.

LozaACCS

Re: Annual allowance (£40,000)

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am

If you have merely transferred funds from one exempt approved scheme to another without taking benefits from either then you will not have triggered a benefit crystallisation event (there are 13 of them), your AA will not have been exceeded and the 3 years carry forward will be irrelevant, if it were it is worth remembering that the carry forward is not scheme specific, it is available if any approved scheme existed in the previous 3 years.
I assume you used an adviser to handle the transfer, they will be able to explain the position to you.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”