This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Allowable expenses - legal fees?

solange
Allowable expenses - legal fees?

Postby solange » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:17 am

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help.

I used the fully managed service of a letting agent as I live abroad, however I terminated the contract after 5 months as they were so poor.

I am hoping to take them to court to be reimbursed for their poor service.

I assume that any legal, office fees etc are not a tax deductible expense, and that any award would not be tax deductible either.

Could anyone confirm?

Thanks for your help!

RMC

Re: Allowable expenses - legal fees?

Postby RMC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 am

Did the agent fail to pay over rent, caused tenants to sue because of failure to maintain the property or was he homophobic towards you?

solange

Postby solange » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:59 am

Agent was late, by up to month, in passing over rents , but aside from a minor amount never failed to pass over rent.
Agent failed to carry out repairs but I was never sued by a tenant as I left them in a matter of months and got repairs sorted promptly before that could happen.
Rude but not homophobic lol!

RMC

Postby RMC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:01 pm

If you were suing for rents not paid over or commissions overcharged, these items would be included in your lettings income and expenditure, so related legal costs would be allowable.
It would seem that the problem is that the agent behaved in a way that caused annoyance; this is a personal matter, so legal fees are not deductible from lettings profits.

solange

Postby solange » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Thank you for your kind reply rmc, I understand the position now.

Commissions were over charged so that's interesting.

Thank you once again!

Return to “Property Taxation”