This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Freelancing help

leeleee
Freelancing help

Postby leeleee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi, I really hope someone can help me out on this situation.

Basically I just finished my design degree in summer and I was asked if I'd like to submit an idea for a book cover and I thought this was a great opportunity so I went ahead and did it. I was told my idea wasn't what they were looking for but they will still pay me for the idea anyway.
The thing is, the woman I am in contact with has sent me some forms to complete in order to pay me which included some freelancer details. As I have just completed my degree, I am not registered as a freelancer and I am not planning to be one and I understand it is a freelancing job but maybe I was just really naive and didn't think about this side of the job.

I honestly saw it as a fun opportunity and I am not sure what to do. Will it look bad if I email her that I am not a registered freelancer? Or would it affect the company? Honestly, haven't a clue about any of this stuff.

Can anyone give any advice please? :|

RMC

Re: Freelancing help

Postby RMC » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:12 am

Assuming that the fee you receive is under £1000, tell the customer that you are not registered with HMRC as you do not expect to be liable to tax, the fee being within the new trading and property allowance.
If you received more than £1000, you should register for self-assessment with HMRC; tell the client you are in the process in doing so. It can take some time.

Return to “General”