This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Theatre Group - Register with HMRC?

BGSOS
Theatre Group - Register with HMRC?

Postby BGSOS » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been raised before, but I've not found anything on the search options relating to my query.

I've recently taken over as the treasurer for an amateur theatre group who have been going for c. 50 years, and have never registered with HMRC or similar. The turnover of the group is c. £20k a year, some years having as much as £4k profit and others a similar level of loss so that it all evens out roughly over time. We are sitting on some savings though. We have a constitution that states that upon wind up the society assets will be paid to a charity of the members choice at an EGM. If the society goes bankrupt the committee and members liable, as to be agreed at such time by an EGM.

Does anyone know what the protocol is for registering with HMRC? I was under the impression we didn't have to as we don't have any employees, only members (who pay to be involved). We do 'pay' a musical director, orchestra and similar honourariums, but aren't in the business of making money - we are definitely a not-for-profit. We have a society account as a bank account.

I assume we won't have any tax liability even if we register, but I'm not sure if we need to.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Return to “Company Taxation”