This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign tax set against UK income

nithbank
Foreign tax set against UK income

Postby nithbank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 am

Here goes...

I am employed in the UK, firmly in the 40% bracket. I also run a partnership in the publishing area, whose main source of income is royalties generated in Singapore, with annual witholding tax of c £5,500 equiv. The partnership is my wife and I - my wife is retired with a total income of around the UK state pension (£8,000), so not paying tax. The partnership agreement allows us to split the profits any way we deem fit. 2016-17 profits before split are £13,000. My advisor wants all the profits allocated to me so all the foreign tax can be offset against my UK tax bill (fair enough!). However, my question is whether it is possible for the partnership to agree that all the tax relief comes to me, but all (or most) of the partnership profits go to my wife, to take advantage of zero or 20% rates that I don't get.

Thanks for reading.

darthblingbling

Re: Foreign tax set against UK income

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 pm

How much income are the royalties generating as you are limited to a certain percent for foreign tax relief on royalties.

nithbank

Postby nithbank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Gross royalties are around £55,000

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Difficult to see how you get profits of £13K out of royalties of £55k.

In any event, foreign tax credit relief is to prevent income from being taxed twice. So if you are not being taxed on the income, you cannot claim relief for foreign tax paid.

Also, if the profits are only £13,000, whoever gets that proft will only be able to claim FTCR up to the amount of foreign tax paid on the income that is being doubly taxed. If only £13,000 is being doubly taxed then only the witholding tax on that £13,000 will be available for FTCR.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 pm

The foreign tax credit position cannot be determined until a classification of the royalty income has been made.

Such income can arise from a trade/profession/vocation or it can constitute annual payment royalties (ie purely passive investment) or non-annual payment royalties (ITTOIA 2005 s579).

Return to “Income Tax”