This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Interest deductions - buy to let

nicecold
Interest deductions - buy to let

Postby nicecold » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am

Me and my wife bought a second home in July with the intention of renting out our previous home. As such we entered into a buy to let arrangement with our mortgage provider, and then purchased the second home. We have been paying payments on an interest only mortgage since this time with a stipulation that we cannot live in the home as it is a buy to let product.

We were then delayed in fixing the house up etc and have subsequently decided to sell the home. We will of course get the additional stamp duty back as we are well within the 3 year timeline, but my query is around the interest payments of the mortgage.

I am comfortable that we will be able to take a tax deduction for the interest payments we have been making monthly, however the mortgage provider is entitled to charge (and will charge!) an exit fee on the mortgage as we had originally fixed for two years but we will be settling before this timeline. My question is obviously whether or not this additional payment is tax deductible, and if it needs to have a specific description to enable it to be considered tax deductible. I.e. if it is described as penalty it might not be deductible, but if it is described as an additional interest payment then it may be?

My thinking is that because it is a buy-to-let product, that all associated fees should be tax deductible, and obviously we have not ended up financially better off so there has been no tax planning in making the decisions we have made, so unless someone gives me a clear indication that I can't claim, I would treat it as a mortgage payment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

pawncob

Re: Interest deductions - buy to let

Postby pawncob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 am

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Re: Interest deductions - buy to let

Postby bd6759 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:11 am

The interest can only be set against income. You did not start a property rental business, so have no income to set it against.

The additional rate of stamp duty is is only refundable if you sell you previous residence.

Return to “Income Tax”