This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transactions during administration of an estate

dally
Transactions during administration of an estate

Postby dally » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:37 pm

A couple of questions if I may.
1. If the deceased's residence was valued for Probate / IHT purposes at say £2million and was later sold for £1.5million with the IHT valuation then being amended to £1.5million, can a loss still arise and be claimed for CGT purposes by the Executors? What I am thinking of is agents fees, legal fees, etc incurred in connection with the sale.
2. If shares in a VCT company are sold by Executors is the disposal still CGT free? I believe they may not be in the hands of trustees but what about Executors?

Thank you.

maths

Re: Transactions during administration of an estate

Postby maths » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:20 pm

If sales price has been substituted for probate value then the sales price also becomes the acquisition price for CGT purposes. In such a case a small capital loss will arise on sale due to costs of disposal.

Sales by executors during the administration are subject to CGT (ie are not exempt).

dally

Re: Transactions during administration of an estate

Postby dally » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”