This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How would lifetime allowance test be applied in the future - is it a % or amount test

grc_too
How would lifetime allowance test be applied in the future - is it a % or amount test

Postby grc_too » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 am

Hi

If I used up 100% of my lifetime allowance now, but save a proportion of my SIPP untouched with the aim of passing the SIPP on to my children in say 25 years time (I am assuming I am that lucky!) - how would the lifetime allowance test be applied.

Assuming that the lifetime allowance has doubled in that time (cpi ~2.8% for 25yrs)

Will the test be applied as a percentage - I've used 100% now and therefore I've still used 100% in 25years time therefore there is no extra head room? (Therefore my SIPP will be taxed in full - 55% for lump sum)

or

Will the test be applied as an amount - I've used £1M now - in 25 years AA will be £2M - therefore I have £1M extra allowance - so my SIPP can be passed on without Annual Allowance tax charge as long as its value is less than £1M?

(I understand that if I am over 75 at dod then the SIPP would be additionally taxed as income tax)

Thank you for taking time to read

AnthonyR

Re: How would lifetime allowance test be applied in the future - is it a % or amount test

Postby AnthonyR » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:07 am

It's a percentage test.

So if you crystallise £1m today you've used 100% (assuming you don't have a higher protected LTA), meaning that if in 25 years time it's £2m you've still used 100% and don't benefit from the increase.

If you crystallise £500k you'll have used 50%, leaving you 50% to crystallise in future, which at £2m will allow a further £1m to be crystallised in future.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”