This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax when selling only home

amazon123
Tax when selling only home

Postby amazon123 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:53 am

I'm looking for advice on the tax implications of selling my only home, which I am in the process of renovating.

I bought my first house in 2013 and renovated it to a high standard while living in it, without any real intention of selling it. A few years later I wanted to move to somewhere larger due to family changes, and sold it earlier this year at a decent profit. I moved into a larger house which also needed a large amount of work, and have almost finished renovating it while living in it, and I anticipate if I sold it I would make a good profit again. I'm concerned about the caveat in relation to selling your main home that you wouldn't be exempt from tax when selling a house if you "bought a home for the purpose of renovating it and selling it on." I haven't expressly done this, but the profit I would make if I decided to move in the next year or so would be decent.

How could it be proven that you sold a house simply to make a profit? There is no mention in any documentation I've read about the length of time you need to spend in a property for it not to be considered a purchase for profit situation, nor any mention of the frequency of moves over X amount of years. I lived in my first house for three and a half years and expect to live in my current house for at least 18 months before moving on.

I hope this makes sense. As I say, I have only owned one house at a time and have lived in both throughout any works I've undertaken to make them comfortable.

SteLacca

Re: Tax when selling only home

Postby SteLacca » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 pm

How it's proven would generally be if HMRC or you take any appeal to tribunal, where the matter would be determined on the balance of probabilities. They would examine intentions, actions etc. in reaching their decision.

If, however, the intention was always to buy and sell at a profit (regardless of the renovation), then it becomes trading income and subject to income tax rather than a capital disposal and subject to associated reliefs.

Return to “Property Taxation”