This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CAT

Mandy29
CAT

Postby Mandy29 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I recently received an inheritance of 40k euro from my late partners mother who was ROI nationality My partner died over 20 years ago and we had a son together. I am a UK national and resident. The solicitors seem to have missed the fact that CAT was due. My understanding is that as we were unmarried my relationship to his mother means maximum CAT is due even as the mother of her grandchild albeit 25 years old now.
Is there any exemption in my situation or alternatively can I chose to pay tax in UK where relationship has no bearing in this circumstance and no tax would be due.
An early reply of thoughts would be much appreciated as only jus found out about this in last week

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”