This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on buytolet property

Ali85
CGT on buytolet property

Postby Ali85 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 am

Hi,

My mother owns buy-to-let property which has an outstanding mortgage on it. This is the only property she has ever owned. She is planning to gift the property to me, whereby I will take out a new mortgage on the outstanding amount.

What will be the tax implications on her for this? She previously had a normal mortgage, but with the financial crisis the only way she could keep hold of the property at the time was via a buy-to-let, interest only mortgage.

Given this is the only property she has owned does CGT still apply?

Thanks

pawncob

Re: CGT on buytolet property

Postby pawncob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Gift to you is a disposal for CGT purposes, so a gain will (probably) arise. The type of mortgage is irrelevant. If it was her PPR at any time, she may be eligible for relief as well as letting relief.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”