This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company shares

Robbie123
Company shares

Postby Robbie123 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi,

My question is about tax on shares.

I have 2000 options in my companies unauthorised share scheme. I can not exercise the options for another 3 years, or at the time of the sale of the company, whichever comes first (the latter I suspect).

I understand I need to pay income tax on the difference between option price and exercise price, and I am at the 40% tax bracket.

- If I make a profit,that when added to my yearly salary comes to over £150k, would that put me in the higher rate tax bracket for anything above that?
- When I exercise, I believe I’d need to pay 40% (potentially 45% on some earning if above does affect me), plus NI, on anything above the option price. So if my shares are worth £50 per share at time of sale (£100k in total), and the option price was £10 per share (£20k), i’d need to pay + £40k in tax and NI on the £80k increase?
Does anyone have any reccomendations on how to reduce this tax bill?
- If I can keep hold of the shares after exercise, then sell them later, I think I would be liable for CGT on anything above the exercise price? If my wife is not earning a salary, makes sense to put shares in her name to use both of our allowances?

Thanks for any advice!

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”