This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign profit share and UK tax

plvermeer
Foreign profit share and UK tax

Postby plvermeer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:29 pm

I lived and worked in Norway until 10 years ago. During this time, as part of my employment package, I received profit share, which the company put into a deferred profit share fund.
Now I have lived and worked in the UK since 2009. Last year the profit share fund paid out my share, in Norway, where it was taxed as income. I wonder if I should report this pay-out as foreign income on my UK tax return. The way I prefer to see it is that the profit share was earned while I was employed in Norway, nothing to do with the UK, apart from any gain in value during my time in the UK. Unfortunately, filing a tax return as a non-dom on the remittance basis is no longer a good option for me.

Thank you for any suggestions.
PV

Return to “International Tax”