This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax and Renovating a new home

jennyknitting
Tax and Renovating a new home

Postby jennyknitting » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm

I recently sold a buy to let property and want to buy my main home with the profit. If I only spend a portion of the profit on the new house I presume I will have to pay income tax on the remainder. Is there some way I could use some of the profit for renovation works eg an extension/kitchen/bathroom/re-wiring without penalty?

bd6759

Re: Tax and Renovating a new home

Postby bd6759 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:20 pm

If the BTL was an investment property you will pay capital gain tax, not income tax, on the whole of the gain. There is no deduction for spending the gain on another house.

jennyknitting

Postby jennyknitting » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks. I already know about the Capital Gains Tax, but I think I read somewhere that if I haven't spent that profit on my main residence before 12 months goes by that I would then have to pay income tax on it. If that is the case there would be a penalty for not spending all of it on a house. Would I be able to use a portion of my house money on renovation costs as this is not strictly speaking part of the sale price?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Capital gains tax is paid on capital gains.

Income tax is paid on income.

You do not pay both on the same gain or profit. You can spend the proceeds on whatever you want.

Return to “Income Tax”