This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on intermediary services

HRaccount
VAT on intermediary services

Postby HRaccount » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:32 am

Hello,

I feel I should know the answer to this but I am going round in circles!
I have been loaned goods from a Canadian supplier for display purposes. I agreed that once I was finished with them, I would post them to another stockist in the UK, and recharge the original supplier in Canada for the postage costs.
I am unsure whether to charge the Canadian supplier VAT? Having read the VAT guidance, I originally thought that because my customer was located outside the EU that the supply would be out side the scope, however as no goods have left the uk I’m not so sure!

Thanks

les35

Re: VAT on intermediary services

Postby les35 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 pm

What is your supply to the Canadian company? What payment has be made to you?

HRaccount

Postby HRaccount » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:31 pm

I am just passing on costs of posting goods. I have paid to transport them to another of their UK customers, and am now simply passing on the cost of postage to the Canadian company. It was to save shipping the goods back to Canada and them then having to transport them back to the Uk.

les35

Postby les35 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm

You are not making a supply, so you do nt charge VAT. You are passing on a cost to the other party.

HRaccount

Postby HRaccount » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:05 pm

THank you for your advice

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”