This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC challenges to probate valuation

professor555
HMRC challenges to probate valuation

Postby professor555 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:44 am

Probate on mother-in-law's estate granted 12 months ago. Estate includes, but is not limited to, her former home shared as TIC with my wife. Shared ownership set up many years ago. We handled probate ourselves but big-firm solicitor who wrote the will seems to think we should expect/await formal letter from HMRC accepting our valuation of property (over which we took proper diligence), and effectively signing off our homework. Neither here or on other forums can I find any mention of such practice by HMRC. Maybe it's something they only do when solicitors act as executors ? We are reluctant to sell the property and divide the proceeds until we have clarity, not least since in the event of HMRC imposing a revaluation we would not be confident of 'sharing' the cost retrospectively amongst all the beneficiaries. Meanwhile, and not unreasonably, they're getting restless.

All guidance appreciated.

AGoodman

Re: HMRC challenges to probate valuation

Postby AGoodman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 pm

It's called a clearance certificate - You submit IHT30.

It doesn't stop you selling the property - just don't transfer away 100% of the funds while there is a risk of a little more IHT.

professor555

Postby professor555 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:29 am

Belated thanks, AG. Does this mean that you don't get one unless you ask ? A colleague tells me he was promised one, in writing, 10 years ago and is still waiting ..

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:08 pm

I don't believe so, no.

In some circumstances you may get a letter with a similar effect but I'm not sure if this is correct or the circumstances in which HMRC send them out.

maths

Postby maths » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Once HMRC are satisfied that the full IHT is paid and there are no other outstanding matters, since 2007 HMRC would normally issue a letter an SL124 (not a stamped IHT30).

However, there is nothing to stop you trying to expedite the process by lodging an IHT 30.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”