This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on share sale for Non Resident ?

Wharf
CGT on share sale for Non Resident ?

Postby Wharf » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:20 pm

As a non resident in excess of five years - if I sell shares in the UK I understand they will be taxed at source according to the share holding company? If this is correct how do I reclaim any tax deducted ? Is there any way to avoid tax being deducted at source in the first place?
Thank You

AGoodman

Re: CGT on share sale for Non Resident ?

Postby AGoodman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 pm

No - a non-UK resident is never subject to UK CGT on shares unless (as you have seen) they are only temporarily resident.

There is no taxation at source for CGT.

If you are selling bonds then there may be income tax on the accrued income under the accrued income scheme but I don't think this is taxed at source (I may be wrong). It would still not be CGT.

maths

Re: CGT on share sale for Non Resident ?

Postby maths » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Depending upon when you left the UK, to avoid the temporary non-resident provisions re CGT you need to be non-resident for either 5 tax years or 5 "normal"
years .

Failing which, the protection of a relevant DTA may apply.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”