This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Second Home tax Scotland

Bellarom
Second Home tax Scotland

Postby Bellarom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi I currently have a flat which is rented out and a further flat which I currently live in.

My plan is to sell the let flat and purchase a home with my girlfriend, then Let out the flat im currently living in.

The flat I wish to sell used to be my main residence over 3 years ago. If I move back in to this flat prior to selling can I claim this as my main residence, then sell it and buy another main residence and In turn mitigate the need for paying the extra 3% lbtt?

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Second Home tax Scotland

Postby bd6759 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:31 pm

No. Because it isn't your main residence.

Bellarom

Re: Second Home tax Scotland

Postby Bellarom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 pm

How long do I need to move back in to it for for it to be classed as my main residence?

Also what do I need as evidence to prove it's my main residence?

Thanks

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”