This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Purchasing inherited house

LondonBased
Purchasing inherited house

Postby LondonBased » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:12 am

My fathers house is split equally 50% between me and my sister. After paying our inheritance tax bill I am looking to buy out my sister for the remaining 50%. When doing this do I pay stamp duty on just the 50% I am purchasing as 50% will already be in my name? Thanks

Lee Young

Re: Purchasing inherited house

Postby Lee Young » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes. You don't need to buy the half you already own.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

LondonBased

Postby LondonBased » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks. I am selling my house to carry this out but also own a second property which i rent. Does this mean I pay the higher rate of stamp duty.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:35 pm

The higher rate does not apply if you are replacing your main residence. If you still own your previous residence at the time of purchase, the higher rate applies, but can be reclaimed once the previous residence is sold.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”