This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Division of property - consideration for SDLT?

Crabtree
Division of property - consideration for SDLT?

Postby Crabtree » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 am

Hi my solicitor can't answer this one... my ex partner (not married) and I are dividing 2 properties. One our former main residence, the other a buy to let investment. Both have mortgages. I will take the main residence, he the buy to let. We both take over the respective mortgages. In addition I will pay him a small cash sum to cover the difference in equity between the two properties. I think the consideration value for SDLT on my property is therefore 1) his half of the outstanding mortgage +2) the small cash sum +3) my share of the equity in the other property that goes to him. It's point 3 I'm unsure of. All HMRC guidance covers is cash paid not where the consideration is in some other form. In addition we're essentially 'swapping' mortgages and equity so I don't know how that factors??????

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”