This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Split year treatment - significant break in overseas employment

BritExpat
Split year treatment - significant break in overseas employment

Postby BritExpat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Could someone please clarify the scope of "significant break" in overseas employment for split year treatment purposes - I retired from a full-time overseas job in July 2016, went to India for 6 months and returned permanently to the UK in Jan 2017. I was in a full-time job in the UK until Oct 2011 when I proceeded abroad for full-time employment and remained non-resident until my permanent return in Jan 2017. I have not worked at all since July 2016. Do I qualify for split year treatment?
Thank you

maths

Re: Split year treatment - significant break in overseas employment

Postby maths » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 pm

The first issue is to ascertain your residence status for the tax year of your return ie 2016/17.

It seems unlikely you will be non-resident but highly likely you will be resident (under second automatic UK test).

If resident then split year treatment likely to apply under Case 4 or 8.

BritExpat

Postby BritExpat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am

Thank you very much, maths. Yes I am a resident in 2016-17. If the split year treatment is allowed, what will be the effective date - the date I ceased full-time employment (Jul 2016) or the date of return to the UK (Jan 2017)?

maths

Postby maths » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 pm

I don't know all the facts but would suggest that the last day of the split year when you are treated as non-UK resident will be the day before you acquired a UK home ie sometime in January 2017 ie UK residency from the following day.

Return to “International Tax”