This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

nomad residency

donaldduck

Postby donaldduck » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:49 pm

I am British citizen non uk tax resident and not ordinarily resident UK. I spend less than 6 months in Spain a year, less than 3 months in UK, and travel worldwide outside Europe for the rest of the time. For convenience, as I travel so much, my offshore accounts are directed to a family address in the UK. Must I pay witholding tax on these offshore accounts? And to which country, as I am technically not resident anywhere? I pay UK tax on a couple of small pensions and an equally small directorship.

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:19 am

How long have you been doing this and have you had speciifc detailed advice that this works from a UK tax adviser?

Also you may need advice from a Spanish tax adviser.

It is the long-standing view of HM Revenue & Customs that Tax Nomads do not exist and they will claim that you are still Ordinariy Resident in the UK.

On the scant facts this seems to be borne out.

You need proper expert tax advise on you tax position.

Daniel Feingold
STP
info@stratax.co.uk

jakuk

Re: nomad residency

Postby jakuk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 am

Just bringing this back to the top ,

I have exactly this situation , but I use a an address in europe rather than the UK , a lot has happened since the original question was asked

Think it is a very important question to be answered with the new regulations etc,

I have written to the OECD , several times and am still awaiting a reply

Return to “International Tax”