This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Live in the UK send money to Wife in Germany

Longliveglue
Live in the UK send money to Wife in Germany

Postby Longliveglue » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Good evening,

I was employed by the MOD for a number of years in Germany i got married and when i was moved back to the UK my wife and children remained in Germany.
I send £1000 a month to my wife. All money that is sent is Post tax so all my income tax is already paid. I am under the impression that i do not have to pay tax on this.
Do i have to declare this and how would i go about that?

Cheers

maths

Re: Live in the UK send money to Wife in Germany

Postby maths » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:05 pm

For UK tax purposes no UK tax charge arises and there is nothing to declare.

wamstax

Re: Live in the UK send money to Wife in Germany

Postby wamstax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:10 am

I am not sure if the OP and Maths are talking in the same language or if I have missed the plot. However to the OP you have to pay tax on your gross salary in the U.K. (which will include the amount you send to your family) and therefore there will be no further tax due on the amount sent to your family.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”