This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

First time Sole Trader in UK. Can I work completely in euros?

cprcrack
First time Sole Trader in UK. Can I work completely in euros?

Postby cprcrack » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi all, I'm new to UK business and your help would be hugely appreciated.

I just moved to the UK and will work as a sole trader here. My business is totally online, basically my income comes from AdSense/Admob (Google Ireland Ltd.). I want to keep my current Spanish AdSense account, which means Google will only pay me to a Spanish bank account in euros.

I actually like that, but wonder if this is allowed by the HMRC. I will work completely in euros, using my Spanish bank account, and I will not even have any business bank account in pounds. I will not be VAT registered so all my invoices will also be in euros. My concrete questions are:

1- Is this actually allowed by the HMRC? Can I simply keep all records in euros in a simple Excel file like I have been doing in Spain?
2- Do I actually need to make an invoice for Google Ireland Ltd or will a proof of the income like the bank transfer receipt be enough? Payment receipt issued by Google show my Spanish address, which I guess is not desirable.
3- When paying Income Tax through Self Assessment, can I simply convert my profit from EUR to GBP at the time of filling the Self Assessment so that the HMRC knows how much to charge me?

Thanks a lot!

RMC

Re: First time Sole Trader in UK. Can I work completely in euros?

Postby RMC » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:24 pm

For HMRC-approved currency conversions see
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ms-and-vat
In the UK one can also trade using cryptocurrencies.

Return to “Business Tax”