This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC and our privacy

Samw1985
HMRC and our privacy

Postby Samw1985 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:24 am

I'm confused - I see HMRC trying to force their way into our private lives all the time pushing for bank statements when they have no right to them.

But at the same time I'm seeing news articles claiming that HMRC have this amazing computer system that has direct access to everything about us, including our bank accounts, bank statements, houses we own or connected to etc.

So why do they need to ask us to send them copies?

Is this a massive bluff by HMRC to scare the dodgers or what?

pawncob

Re: HMRC and our privacy

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Yes..................and Brexit will necessitate an emergency Budget, and Amazon will deliver everything by drone before Easter.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Samw1985

Postby Samw1985 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:27 am

So what information do they actually have access too without our consent then?

I personally had an issue with them seeing all my personal transactions - although with the way the world is and the amount of control the government is pushing on us there's nothing I can do.

But if it's all a bluff and in reality they only have what I give them when they ask for it then that's much better

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:05 pm

They have access to anything that's posted publically, and some info on bank accounts (but limited in scope to interest)
Most of it is like the BBC scare campaign "We have lots of detector vans seeking people without a TV licence". Yes, there were two.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Samw1985

Postby Samw1985 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 am

There must be some truth to them saying they can see bank balances other than just the interest paid. A lot of accounts don't get paid interest now. If that was the case they wouldn't know about thousands of accounts.

They say they can now take cash out of your bank account without going to court if you don't pay.

For this they would have to be able to find your accounts and check the balance somehow?

Return to “Company Taxation”