This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Return or not?

jackdaniels
Tax Return or not?

Postby jackdaniels » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi,

I started my sole trader business around mid (15) April 2017. I am registered for VAT and have been completing these returns every 3 months. On my HMRC login page I don't see any links or information regarding filing a tax return.

Is this because I don't yet have to? When do I have to register to file a tax return?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

bd6759

Re: Tax Return or not?

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:43 pm

The tax year ends on 5 April 2018. Your first tax return will cover the oeriod from the date you started to that 5 April.

A notice to file should be sent to you after 5 April. If not, contact HMRc (say around <May/June) to ensure that a notice is sent.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”