This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign bank Interest remitted in the UK

lostbread
Foreign bank Interest remitted in the UK

Postby lostbread » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello,

I am a French citizen who previously worked in Canada (for 4 years), and I moved and started working in the UK in October 2015 (I am resident but not domiciled). I transferred my Canadian saving money in the UK in January 2017.
Between the moment I arrived in the UK and the moment I transferred the money in the UK I earned untaxed interest in Canada (around 400£ in 2016-2017, and around 250£ in 2015-2016) and I am trying to figure out how I should report this in my UK Self assessment.

I also have some low income (less than £2000) coming from interest bank accounts in France, so I have to file under Remittance Basis.

So far this is what I have done:
- on SA100 box 3 (Untaxed foreign interest (up to £2,000) - amounts which have not had tax taken off) , I put the interests I earned in canada for 2016-2017 (but not the one from 2015-2016) and remitted in the UK which are around £400
- on SA109 under Remittance Basis, I ticked box 28 (If you are making a claim for the remittance basis for 2016-17) and I ticked box 29 (If your unremitted income and capital gains for 2016-17 is less than £2,000)
- on SA109 under Remittance Basis, I ticked box 37 (If you have remitted nominated income or gains during 2016-17) <---- I ticked this box because of the money I remitted from Canada and the interests I earned on this money during this tax year. Is this correct?
However, I am unsure of what I should do concerning the following statement from the manual regarding the box 37 mentioned above:
If the income or gain covers more than one tax year, give a breakdown of the amount in the 'any other information' box, box 40
Should I described the fact that I earned £250 of Foreign interest in 2015-2016 and £400 of Foreign interest in 2016-2017? If yes, why and what is the impact on my taxes?

Thanks for your help!

Return to “International Tax”