This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Deductible Rent in Let-to-Let?

mattsvppli
Tax Deductible Rent in Let-to-Let?

Postby mattsvppli » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello,

I have noticed that there have been / will be changes in taxation laws for property investors; for example, that in buy-to-let arrangements, mortgage interest will no longer be tax-deductible.

Could someone please explain to me what is the case for the let-to-let arrangements? I imagine this is less common, but if a fixed rent is paid to a landlord with the permission to sublet, is the fixed rent tax-deductible from the total subletting revenue?

For example, let’s say I need a garage for storage purposes but the house I live in does not have one. I find a landlord who is willing to rent me a 4-bed property with a garage, and I sublet the 4 bedrooms and use the garage for personal storage. If my revenue from the 4-bedroom sublet is 2000 and my fixed rent cost is 1800, are all 1800 tax-deductible? Or perhaps would I need to determine the relative value of the garage (say 200) and only 1600 is tax deductible? Or is the rent not tax-deductible at all?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Return to “General”