This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Input VAT - Non registered ltd company

Med
Input VAT - Non registered ltd company

Postby Med » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi,

I have an LTD Company that provides management consulting services and it is not a vat registered. So far, I had 1 client and I did not charge any VAT. I purchased a PC for my professional use on which I paid VAT. I understand that I need to register for VAT to be able to claim it back. Here are 3 precise questions I have and I thank you for your help:
1. If I register for VAT, should I charge VAT for my next clients? (suppose that revenues remain under the threshold of 85 000£ for this tax year)
2. Should pay back any VAT to HMRC on the previous revenue (on which I did not charge any VAT)?
3. If I don't need to charge VAT for the future invoices (output VAT), can I only claim the expense on my professional expense (input VAT)?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best,
MED

tomg35

Re: Input VAT - Non registered ltd company

Postby tomg35 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm

1 - If you register for VAT then yes you must charge VAT on your invoices (You can only charge VAT on products and services that attract a positive rate of VAT).
2 - Paying VAT on previous invoices will depend on your circumstances. If you are registering AND are under the VAT threshold then as far as I know you do not need to account for VAT on previous invoices. However if you are registering for VAT because you have reached the VAT registration threshold, then things are different and you may have to account for prior invoices (presuming that the sale attracts a positive rate of VAT).
3 - Once you are registered for VAT then yes you can claim the VAT back on eligible purchases irrespective of whether you have or not charges VAT.

All of this information is available to you on the Gov.uk website

les35

Re: Input VAT - Non registered ltd company

Postby les35 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:10 pm

If your clients are mainly businesses able to recover VAT, then it is worth registering. This then allows you to recover VAT on your costs. And you can use a suitable VAT scheme to defer VAT (Cash Accounting, for example).

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”