This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Irish property tax in UK

mindyb
Irish property tax in UK

Postby mindyb » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi. I'm Irish, living in London and paying PAYE. I have a property in Dublin that I rent, I make a small profit and pay tax on this by filing Irish tax returns. I have just got a letter from HMRC saying I have not paid tax on my overseas income.
Do I also owe tax on this property in the UK? will i be required to back date this? thanks

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Irish property tax in UK

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:09 am

Hi

This is only a recent development where HMRC received automatically information from 45 other tax authorities around the world. Though I would have thought with due respect they would have gone after bigger fish first.

Normally remittance basis would apply on foreign income but ITTOIA05/S269 that this would not apply for foreign income arising in Republic of Ireland. You would pay double tax then claim a tax credit presumably in Ireland depending on the tax treaty.

Yes you should backdate and make a full disclosure.

Kind Regards

GTA

mindyb

Postby mindyb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Thank you for this information.
What much additional tax am I required to pay?
As I have already made Irish submissions, can I not claim relief in the UK now?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 pm

There are few issues to deal with:

1) Different Tax Years
2) Exchange Rates
3) Method of Calculation of Profits

Its difficult to tell how much additional tax on the profits maybe 20, 40 or 45%

You may need to amend your Irish tax return to take account of the tax credit

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Property Taxation”