This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax refund or under payment !

paul8685
Tax refund or under payment !

Postby paul8685 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi, I was made redundant in April this year had a net payout of £62,000 tax paid was £23,500 (40%)
I have 2 royal mail pensions on the go 1 with tax code D0. The other Tax code 1150.

Prior to the redundancy both pensions where taxed at the D0 tax code.
Pension 2 was giving me monthly refunds ! Tax to date is now down to £18550. Thought that I was odd paying tax on one pension and getting refund on the other.

Called my pension provided last week to enquire. They said that was the codes given from HMRC. Adviced to contact HMRC.
They informed me that the pension code was wrong it should have been D0 not s1150.and should not be getting monthly refunds , and he is changing my code to moth 01.
My questions are if I may ask are.
who is responsible error ( paying the under payment)
How does Moth01 work consider we are near the end of the tax.
Should l have bothered in contacting HMRC in the first place. Have I opened a can of worms for myself.
Thanks any advise or feedback would be appreciated
Paul

bd6759

Re: Tax refund or under payment !

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am

1. You are.
2. It will stop any underpayment increasing.
3. Yes. Your tax is your probelm. No. You would have a bigger underpayment if you did nothing.

paul8685

Postby paul8685 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks , for response The thing that is confusing to me is if all my total earnings for all incomes in 2017-2018.
Is £72000 according to online tax calculators I have tried my tax should be £18000 Approx .That is where my paid tax is sitting at the moment. I'm I missing something here. Paul

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:39 am

Your best bet is to ring hmrc and provide details of what all projected taxable income sources will be for current tax year and ask what they can do with the tax codes - they should be able to sort something in this regard if you have been overtaxed.

Return to “Income Tax”